The Colorado Department of Health and Human Services and the Yampa Valley Electric Association’s Caring Consumers Foundation are funding our current program which is a collaboration with local companies who provide employees as volunteers and restaurants who provide discounted lunches for the partnerships.
Companies providing volunteers for the 2013-14 School-Year
And current restaurants providing discounted lunches are: Colorado Bagel Co, Wolf Mountain Pizza, Azteca, 5th Street Deli, Bamboo Market, and Steamboat Meat and Seafood Co.
Overview of the Program:
Waiting Junior Partners, of all Routt County communities, are matched one-to-one with a volunteer “Lunch Partner”. The Lunch Partner makes or purchases a healthy lunch to share with his/her waiting Junior Partner over the lunch hour at a Soroco, Hayden, or Steamboat Springs elementary, middle or high school.
Partnerships enjoy each others’ company three times per month, according to the participants’ schedule, until the conclusion of the school year. Volunteers commit to two to three hours per month to the program and their youth.
Purpose: The purpose of Lunch Partners is to provide Waiting Junior Partners with additional guidance and support while they are waiting to participate in the more intensive (three hours a week for 12 months) and best-practice community-based One-to-One Youth Mentoring Program.
Partners is hopeful that at the end of the school year, Waiting Junior Partners and Lunch Partners will both desire to continue their mentoring relationship and hence participate in the more intensive One-to-One Youth Mentoring Program. The opportunity will be offered to both parties in May or June. If one or the other party is not interested in partaking in One-to-One, both may continue with Lunch Partners during the following school year.
Outcomes: Participating Waiting Junior Partners will experience increased adult bonding, self-esteem, commitment to school, and social and communication skills. Lunch Partners will meet new friends, have fun, learn, and experience the rewards of giving back.
Role and responsibilities of the volunteer Lunch Partner:
1. Complete the Senior Partner application including two references (one personal, one professional)
2. Pass all background screening
3. Attend a 1 hour orientation and training
4. Determine what day of the week you can have lunch with your Waiting Junior Partner
5. Provide and have lunch with your Waiting Junior Partner three times per month for the duration of the school year
6. Reply to your Case Manager’s monthly monitoring emails and any additional correspondence: Ongoing, end of the month
7. Complete an end-of-the-year on-line survey
8. Serve as an ambassador to Partners
Contact Clarice at email@example.com to get involved